Wednesday, August 22, 2012

You've heard of Flash Mobs, welcome to the Job Mob



Over the past few days, I have shared quite a lot on my blog.  (As of this morning, I have taken down my last 2 posts so that I can now focus on moving forward.)  Those of you who have read it know that there have been many painful things happen to me as of late.  But "to everything there is a season" and I am now trying to put one foot in front of the other.  

Many of you have messaged me with such encouragement and support, but when someone you love is going through a trial it is natural to try to think of practical ways you can help.  Much of the time, there might not be anything you can do.  But I have thought of one thing, just ONE THING, which might help me out more than you know. 

As you can imagine, not having a job or any source of income only serves to magnify every other problem in life.  And it is a pressing need for me and my family.  So I need help finding work. 

Finding a job in today's market is extremely difficult for so many, and I am no exception.  It is hard to even get an interview because resumes are screened to such minute details, that only a select few ever get to the desk of the hiring manager.  I have not yet figured out the key to standing out, having my resume reviewed, and getting an interview.  So I am forced to try to be creative.

In all of the best sources of information for how to find work, I find that the most effective way to get an interview with a company is to know someone who can help you get in front of the one responsible for hiring.  I have moved so many times that coming into new places does not afford me much time to build up a network of contacts which can help me to branch out. 

So I am attempting to do something a little different.  I want to CARPETBOMB  my target with so many requests for an interview, that my name cannot help but to stand out.  I want the sheer amount of my references to come in such a short period of time so as to make the human resources manager take notice of me. 



I have a very specific target in mind.....Dave Ramsey. 

 
If you have not heard of him, Dave Ramsey is a Christian financial expert who has:
  • a top-rated radio show with millions of listeners every day.
  • many NY Times bestseller books
  • and an organization based in Nashville which employs hundreds of people
His company is annually voted one of the best to work for in the Nashville area.  And I am personally a fan of his ministry (having gone through Financial Peace University, attended a live event, and listening to his radio show via podcast), which is why I want to work for him, because I believe in his mission.

I have continually looked on his website (daveramsey.com) to look for jobs which would be a good fit for me.  And I have found one......Sales Advisor for Hosting Simulcast of Events

This involves contacting churches and businesses to host a Simulcast of a Dave Ramsey event.  With my background working in churches, my belief in the product, and my passion to help people, I strongly believe that I would be a great fit. 

But I don't want to be another resume-screening casualty.  So Here's the plan and what I would ask you to do to help me:
  1. If you want to do something to help me, I want you to email the H.R. manager  (REMOVED FOR PRIVACY) a very brief note (no longer than one paragraph total), stating (in the body):
    1. Your name
    2. Your occupation (so that he knows these are serious references)
    3. Why you think I would be a good fit with Dave Ramsey.
    4. Personal qualities I possess which would be of benefit to Dave Ramsey.
  2. Most importantly, in the subject line of the email, I want you to write :
    1. "Why (REMOVED FOR PRIVACY) should get an interview"
  3. Since I want this to be impossible to avoid, I would ask that you do this tomorrow (Thursday, August 23rd) in order for him to receive these messages all in one day!
I am hoping that the sheer volume of emails with the repetition of my name will cause me to stand out and receive an interview. 

Folks, I really want to work!!!!  This is the first step I must take in beginning to put things back together and I am running out of time before we will have to move in with family. 

Admittedly, this is probably a long shot.  But I can't sit idly by anymore waiting on my phone to ring.  I want to use my creativity to the best of my ability to hopefully get out of the mess I'm in.   I just want a chance.  Would you help me get an interview?

Thanks for considering doing this. 

In Christ,
Jay

P.S.  Yes, (REMOVED FOR PRIVACY), is my first name.  I need you to put that so that they can match my name with my resume and application which I've previously submitted.

If you have any friends who know me and want to help, please let them know for me. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I will do first thing in the morning!

Unknown said...

My dad just bought this book....he listens to Mr. Ramsey every morning, and we are sure to hear a proverb from Mr. Ramsey every evening, lol! My dad really appreciates his wisdom.

Good to see you all have a blog. The Dotson Family loves the Richardson Family; praying for you. Your faith is a blessing to me.

Whitney Ann