Saturday, February 26, 2011

My Good Thing

Proverbs 18:22 says, “He who finds a wife finds a good thing and obtains favor from the Lord” (ESV).  This might not seem like it’s a true statement for some who live day to day with the reality of another Proverb, 27:15, which states, “A continual dripping on a rainy day and a quarrelsome wife are alike.”  But, as I have found mercy and forgiveness for my sinful and wretched life through Christ, I have been privileged to absorb the same love and grace modeled to a down and dirty and sometimes ugly sinner like myself, through my “good thing”, Michelle Richardson.
            Not many people, not ANY people, have shaped me and lifted me higher than my wife.  This is probably because she was fashioned by God in such a unique way.  Not ever having much in life, the daughter of a single mother, Michelle was in a constant battle with life from day 1.  These battles included: abuse, neglect, alcoholism, being shunned and betrayed, and constantly pleading with God for escape.  But what has carried her through is the marrow of her bones.  Early on, she realized how out-of control, like a swing whose chain breaks, her life was.  And this realization dragged her as low as any human can go.  But it also brought her higher than any person can fly as she turned to Jesus Christ to lift her.  Lift her away from her sins, her situation in life, and eventually herself.
            She gave up the world’s idea of success and the notion that she had to please people all of the time and exchanged it for a new life focused on pleasing God first.  This new life was unlike her old.  Her old life was filled with bitterness, despair, and fear.  But her new life is full of hope, strength, and purpose.  One day, she bowed as low as she could, pleading for forgiveness and mercy.  And that same day, her chin was lifted off the ground, pointing her eyes to what life is really all about-serving God.  And that day, she gave the keys of her life to the best driver the world has ever seen-Jesus Christ.
            As we have reflected on our lives together, we realize that it was the exact same year that God changed both of us.  One in Tennessee, the other in California.  And these 2 broken and unlovable people were put back together and combined, from thousands of miles apart, to provide a sneak peak into what heaven must be like.  And ever since, I have ridden on the clouds.  Whether they were stormy or bright, I’ve lived higher than I ever could with my “good thing” by my side the whole way.
            What makes her so incredibly attractive to me is the sheer power her faith has on me and our children.  She is as close to Jesus in the flesh as I have ever been near.  She sees the most disgusting, smelly, hidden, and vile catacombs of my life and yet when asked who she looks up to, she said it was me.  Me?  Nobody with the eyes of the world could say that.  She has the eyes of Jesus. 
            Being in ministry, I have moved our family to 7 states in our 13 years of marriage.  Ask me how this woman complained?  Ask me how she fought against it?  Ask me how she made me feel bad for not giving her a house to call her own?  All you will hear is the crickets chirping because you won’t hear any answer from me.  Why?  Because she never complained.  Amazingly, she saw each step as a step forward while I felt like I was falling down the whole flight.  Nobody with the eyes of the world could see that.  But she has the eyes of Jesus.
            Now, she would be quick to tell you how imperfect she is, as I ramble on and on about her.  But she cannot convince me!  She will not convince me!  I’ve seen too much Jesus in her!  When she was weeping over the table her homeless father died on, she wept like Jesus.  When she was singing hymns to her children at night before bed, every single night, she sang like Jesus.  When she prayed over her daughter’s biopsy results, she prayed like Jesus.  And when she forgave the ones who brought abuse to her and her children, she imaged Him perfectly. 
I can never be deceived into thinking my life is lived under the curse of God as long as my “good thing” is near.  She is the best gift, the best Savior could have given His most undeserving creature.  My “good thing” is so good!  Why?  Because my “Great One” lives in her!  Bellissima!  Now, go get your own “good thing”, this one’s taken.

No comments: